WebTruck Home
WebTruck Forum
TrackCam - where do we go from here
By: webtruck
IP: 10.1.201.36
Topics: 31
Added: 08/10/2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi all

after a problem with the power the owners of the building did not allow me to put TrackCam back into operation. This was back in June 29th.

Today we had a meeting to discuss how to bring this cam back into operation.

I was requested to comply with the swiss privacy policy requlations.

Federal Regulations for WebCams (in german, also available in french and italian. Here's the google translation)

In short: either the camera must not show persons in a recognizable clarity (no zoom, no panning to where people are), or there must be some privacy filter (eg pixelate people) to prevent recognition of persons.

Was it possible to recognize people?

Does anybody know software to pixelate people in jpeg images using linux?

The motion jpeg stream came right off the camera. To support any kind of privacy filter, this would have to change to add the filter -> required CPU power, might limit number of people visiting the camera.

Seeing this requirements, I am not sure if I'll not only invest money to improve the wiring but also manpower and money to decrease the quality of the images...

What do you think?
By: godfrey
IP: 66.134.109.98
Topics: 10
Added: 08/10/2010 - 09:33 PM

It probably would be easier to mask entire regions then try to attempt to pixelate each face.
If you can't find any software that can do this you could apply the mask directly to the glass dome.
The problem with masking regions is the occasional strays that could wander into the unmasked region.

Honestly, I think removing the zoom capability would be enough to satisfy compliance to the privacy laws.
By: Dee_Kal
IP: 89.195.85.197
Topics: 1
Added: 08/10/2010 - 10:35 PM

The simplest answer is often the right one.

Removing the zoom feature should be sufficient. Or, adding to Godfrey's answer, coating part of the dome (paint?) so it can't focus on where folk live, etc. Whichever is easiest for you.

None of us really wanted to see Mrs Brown's frilly knickers on the washing line anyway, not when we're more interested in the trains on the railway line. Tongue

So let the folk come, let them watch you making the modifications if they want, let them satisfy their curiousity about what you're doing. Above all, don't get frustrated. Smile!
By: charles_envall
IP: 124.168.77.208
Added: 08/13/2010 - 03:07 AM

Like most - am not intersted in individual people - the trains are what
I like seeing - and hopfully there is not a law against that!!!
(As a matter of interest you can get into bother on Melbourne (Austrlia's) main railway station simply by having a camera and pointing it around. They've gone totally insane since 9/11)
Reset the lens length so we can see the major tracks/platforms and leave it set that way - surely should satisfy them
Good luck with it all!!!
By: sse
IP: 10.1.201.36
Topics: 58
Added: 03/09/2011 - 06:37 PM

It took a long time, but now the TrackCam is back at work.
There will be zoom restrictions implemented.

On March 21st construction will start on the empty lot on the left - a good reason to bring this camera back to life!
By: boris
IP: 95.27.157.241
Added: 03/10/2011 - 08:18 PM

It's a pleasure to see the live stream again!
By: petre2002uk
IP: 87.194.150.58
Added: 08/21/2011 - 08:13 PM

love the site and the trackcam long may it conyinue Frin